What Is Radon?
Radon is a radioactive gas known to cause lung cancer with long term exposure. It is a colorless, odorless gas that can only be detected with special instruments and could be in your home without your knowledge. Radon gas forms from the natural breakdown of uranium found in soil, rock, and water. The radioactive level of the gas depends on the makeup of the soil and rock in your area but it is commonly found in low, non-harmful levels all over the United States. The elements formed from this natural process can attach to dust and other particles in the air you breathe.
Radon can get into any type of building, including homes, offices and schools through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Your home has a higher chance of exposing you and your family to the gas because that is where you spend most of your time. Every home, including newly built residences are susceptible to radon problems. All SafeBasements™ waterproofing products can operate in conjunction with typical mitigation systems and products.
Radon is measured in picocuries per liter of air or "pCi/L." DIY test kits are sold at local home improvement and hardware stores but results are not guaranteed to be 100% accurate. Our certified, trained professionals come to your home and provide guidance in the event that high levels of radon are found. It's fast, easy, and affordable.
North Dakota is in one of the highest indoor radon areas in our country. See the link from the EPA here and view maps about radon conditions in North Dakota.